Thursday, October 02, 2008

Feeling Moral About Politics

Funniest political image I've seen all day:
I think the best family values come from Costco.
Hmm, I'd like a theremin, too.

I'm guessing that most of my readership, which I suspect can be counted on my fingers with several fingers left over, got an email pointer to a website at catholicvote.com with a video which you can see here. It was described as "cool" and thought-provoking. Go ahead, click the link if you like, I'll wait.

It made me think, too, but probably not what they wanted me to think. It impressed me that what is essentially a single-issue advocacy group, one that explicitly advocates a much harder right-to-life line than you will find from the leadership of your nominal church, has found a way to wrap its message up with the flag, motherhood, and apple pie, and some stirring music.

Just as a for-instance, LDS positions on issues of birth control (up to the parents), abortion (allowed, with caveats, for rape, incest, and certain health issues), and euthanasia (allowing for withdrawal of life support) are of course conservative, but tolerant in ways that the Marianists at the Fidelis Center for Law and Policy, sponsors of CatholicVote.com, are decidedly not. The Church has taken no position on embryonic stem cell research, but that’s practically liberal compared to the Marianist Catholic position.

The single-issue nature of the CatholicVote video plea leaves out vital considerations of a moral nature; questions about whether their preferred policies would have more children raised in poverty and abusive situations and by single parents, about whether they would incarcerate seekers of abortions, about whether they would jail providers or strip them of their medical licenses, leading to a reduction in medical services available for the rest of us, about whether we would find that products used to support our private decisions about reproductive planning are no longer available, or whether we would be forced to remain artificially animated in a cruel parody of life when our bodies would otherwise have long since given out.

They see one issue as outweighing all these things. This strikes me as the antithesis of moral.

2 comments:

Sam said...

You go!

boisegrammy said...

Hmmm. I guess I need to view the video again. Although I could see that it definitely was against abortion I evidently used my selective editing and came up with the impression that it just wanted me to vote using my values and morals to make my decision. Since I feel pretty well grounded in them it didn't sway me either way.